- 2 cups long grain parboiled rice
- 1 cup beans
- Tomato Stew
- Chicken or Fish
- Pepper and salt (to taste)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 stock cubes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Before Cooking the jollof rice and beans:
- Wash and soak the beans for about 5 hours. Discard the water and rinse the
- Put the beans in a pot, pour some water and set to boil.
- Once the beans starts boiling, turn off the heat, throw away the water and wash
again. These steps will help minimize the indigestion associated with beans for
- Prepare the tomato stew.
- Parboil the rice
- Cook the chicken till tender with the chopped onions, thyme and stock cubes. If
you will rather use fish, boil the fish for 5 minutes using the same amount of
seasoning. Fry or grill the chicken or the fish and set aside.
Method of Preparation:
Step 1: Cook the beans till tender and set aside.
Step 2: Pour the chicken/fish stock into a pot big enough to accommodate the rice and
beans, bearing in mind that the rice will raise some more.
Step 3: Add the tomato stew, the parboiled rice and the cooked beans. Check that the
water level is just less than the level of the rice and beans.
Step 4: Add pepper and salt to taste.
Step 5: Stir, cover the pot and cook at low to medium heat till the water is dry.
Serve with the fried chicken or fish and Fried Plantain